Some people have been known to say print advertising is dead… but here at Absolute Creative we know that’s definitely not the case. We still design and create highly successful print ads for businesses all over the UK. However, if you want your ads to be successful, there are certain things you should do, and certain things you should never do if you want your print advertising to work. We don’t like telling anyone what to do, so this blog focuses on those print ad no-no’s – pay attention and you won’t make the same mistake many others have, and still do.
1. Don’t use a wishy-washy headline. Just like a blog post, newspaper article, or magazine feature, the headline is the first thing your reader will see – and it’s very likely to be the one thing that makes them decide whether or not to read the rest of the ad. You need a headline with impact, or your whole ad will be wasted
2. Don’t use too much copy. If your ad is ‘word heavy’ it will put people off and they won’t bother with it. Yes, you’ve probably got a lot to say, but less is often more so keep your sentences short and snappy, and focus on the important stuff – the benefits to your customer
3. It’s not all about you. We like talking about ourselves, don’t we? And we’re excited about our new ‘thing’ we’re selling. Nobody else cares though – sad but true – so don’t lay it on too thick about all the fantastic features and focus on how it’s going to solve a problem for the reader. That’s what sells.
4. Don’t be confusing. If you have 2 or 3 things to sell, make 2 or 3 ads. DON’T attempt to get them all in the one ad to save money, you’ll just confuse the customer and they won’t buy any of them. Make one good ad for each product, and focus on the main benefit of each.
5. Don’t make them guess what to do next. A strong call to action is important, so make sure your ad lets them know what they have to do next to either buy, call for info, learn more, book, or whatever it is you want them to do. Say it clearly and make it very visible or you’ll miss out on sales.
Do you need print advertising? We are Absolute Creative, an award-winning design agency, and we can help. We’re based in Hertfordshire but our customers come from all across the UK because we create print ads for you that work. Call us today on 01707 386 107, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about what we can do for your business.